The City's Therapeutic Recreation programs intend to enhance quality of life and productivity by building social and physical skills, self-esteem and independence. Programs are facilitated by therapeutic recreation specialists and/or qualified staff.
Adaptive Recreation provides opportunities for individuals of all ages and abilities to actively participate in recreational or educational programs. Programs are specifically designed for people with disabilities.
Browse the Therapeutic Recreation section of the Parks and Recreation Program Guide at edenprairie.org/parksbrochure to find a full list of classes available.
What is Inclusion?
- Having the same choices and opportunities that other people have.
- Being accepted and appreciated for who you are.
- Being with friends who share your interests not your disability.
- Being a valued customer and welcomed participant in programs, regardless of ability.
- Having recreation facilities and areas that are accessible and easy for everyone.
- Providing individualized supports and accommodations.
How does the City make Inclusion happen?
- Promoting program opportunities through flyers, brochures, and newsletters.
- Making registration accessible and user-friendly.
- Providing necessary supports, accommodations, and adaptations. Examples may include adaptive equipment, task/activity analysis, modifying rules, assigning a one to one assistant, and/or providing an interpreter.
- Training all staff on topics related to the importance of inclusion, sensitivity when interacting with individuals with disabilities, roles/responsibilities of all staff, and behavior intervention plans.
- Monitoring programs to determine the need to make any changes.
- Documenting individuals progress towards goals, social interaction, and participation.
- Evaluating programs to determine areas of success and areas for improvement.
How do I register for Inclusion Services?
- Contact Nicole White at 952-949-8457 or firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of three weeks prior to the program beginning.
- An assessment will be conducted to identify participant’s needs, interests, and abilities.
- Arrangements will be made for the necessary supports, accommodations, and/or adaptations. If necessary, a one-to-one facilitator will help you integrate into the program.
Please follow the above steps to arrange the appropriate accommodations.
Leisure Education Programs offered provide opportunities for participants with disabilities to develop and/or enhance leisure awareness, social interaction skills, leisure resources, and/or leisure activity skills. A balance between the challenge of the activities and the skills of the participants are the main intentions.
In addition, the intent of this program is to assist individuals to become involved as independently as possible in community activities. Programs are offered either in a small group setting or on a one-to-one basis. Small group programs are planned for individuals who share similar needs, interests and abilities. One-to-one sessions are developed based on the results of the individual's needs assessment and interests.
Each program has a prerequisite for participation. A general condition is that participants follow two step directions, independently make decisions related to leisure involvement, and demonstrate ability to communicate wants and needs. New participants must complete an intake interview. Call 952-949-8457 to set up an interview.
Leisure Education is appropriate for...
- Individuals with disabilities
- Senior adults
- At-risk youth
- Outpatient/rehab clients
- Individuals with mental health needs
- Anyone interested in enhancing leisure pursuits
Browse the Therapeutic Recreation section of the Parks and Recreation Program Guide at edenprairie.org/parksbrochure to find a complete list of leisure education programs available.
Questions? Contact Nicole White at 952-949-8457.
Related Links and Information